The world’s first Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex Display, endless multitasking possibilities and our most versatile camera yet – in one breakthrough device
SEOUL / LONDON / SAN FRANCISCO – February 20, 2019 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. unveiled the highly anticipated Galaxy Fold, a new foldable device creating a new mobile category. Galaxy Fold features the world’s first 7.3-inch Infinity Flex Display, which folds into a compact device with a cover display. Galaxy Fold offers a powerful new way to multitask, watch videos, play games, and more – bringing to life new experiences and possibilities years in the making.
“Today, Samsung is writing the next chapter in mobile innovation history by changing what’s possible in a smartphone. Galaxy Fold introduces a completely new category that unlocks new capabilities never seen before with our Infinity Flex Display.” said DJ Koh, President and CEO of IT & Mobile Communications Division, Samsung Electronics. “We created Galaxy Fold for those that want to experience what a premium foldable device can do, beyond the limitations of a traditional smartphone.”
A Smartphone. A Tablet. Folded into One.
Galaxy Fold is in a category of its own. It delivers a new kind of mobile experience allowing users to do things they couldn’t do with an ordinary smartphone. Users now have the best of both worlds; a compact device that unfolds to reveal Samsung’s largest-ever smartphone display. Galaxy Fold brings together material, engineering and display innovations, developed over eight years following the debut of Samsung’s first flexible display prototype in 2011.
- New Display Materials: The internal screen does not merely bend. It folds. Folding is a more intuitive motion, and a more difficult innovation to deliver. Samsung invented a new polymer layer and created a display around 50 percent thinner than the typical smartphone display. The new material makes Galaxy Fold flexible and tough, built to last.
- New Hinging Mechanism: Galaxy Fold opens smoothly and naturally, like a book, and closes flat and compact with a satisfying click. To achieve this, Samsung engineered a sophisticated hinge with multiple interlocking gears. This system is housed in a hidden enclosure for a seamless and elegant look.
- New Design Elements: From the screen to the housing, to every element you can see and touch – Samsung left no stone unturned. The fingerprint scanner is found on the side where the thumb naturally rests, so the device unlocks easily. Two batteries and the components are evenly distributed so Galaxy Fold feels balanced in your hands. Colors with unique finishing—Space Silver, Cosmos Black, Martian Green and Astro Blue1—and the engraved hinge with Samsung logo complete its elegant fit and finish.
A Whole New Experience
Galaxy Fold was designed with smartphone users in mind – driven by bigger and better form factors that boost their experiences. Galaxy Fold changes to the screen you need, the moment you need it. Slip it out of your pocket for one-handed calls, texts, and more and open for endless multitasking and higher quality viewing on our largest mobile display for presentations, digital magazines, movies, and AR content.
The unique UX built just for Galaxy Fold, provides new ways to get the most out of your smartphone:
- Multi-Active Window: The possibilities are virtually endless with Galaxy Fold – designed for the ultimate multitasker. You can open up to three active apps simultaneously on the main display so you can surf, text, work, watch and share without losing a beat.
- App Continuity: Make intuitive, seamless transitions between the cover and the main displays. As Galaxy Fold opens and closes, apps will automatically show up where you leave off. When you’re ready to take a photo, make in-depth edits, or have a closer look at the feed, open the display for a big screen and fuller canvas.
Samsung worked with Google and the Android developer community to ensure that apps and services were available for the Galaxy Fold’s unique experience.
Premium Performance Built to Fold
Galaxy Fold is built for the heaviest and intense use whether it’s working, playing or sharing —all of which requires advanced performance. Packed with powerful hardware, the Galaxy Fold is more than up to the task.
- Do More: To ensure everything runs smoothly, even when running three apps simultaneously, Samsung equipped Galaxy Fold with a high-powered, next-generation AP chipset and 12GB of RAM with PC-like performance. The sophisticated dual battery system was specifically engineered to keep up with you. Galaxy Fold is also capable of charging itself and a second device simultaneously via Wireless PowerShare, while connected to a regular charger so you can leave your second charger at home.
- Ultimate Multimedia Experience: The Galaxy Fold is designed for entertainment. Thanks to immersive visuals on the Dynamic AMOLED display and crisp, clear sound by AKG with the stereo speakers, your favorite movies and games come to life in rich sound and color.
- Our Most Versatile Camera Yet: No matter which way you hold—or fold—the device, a camera will be ready to capture the scene, so you never miss the moment. With six lenses—three in the back, two on the inside and one on the cover—the Galaxy Fold camera system has flexibility built in. Galaxy Fold introduces a new level of multitasking, allowing you to use other apps during a video call.
Do it All with Galaxy Fold
Galaxy Fold is more than a mobile device. It’s a portal to an entire galaxy of connected devices and services that Samsung has developed over the years to make it easier for consumers do the things that they couldn’t do before. Pair with Samsung DeX2 for even more productivity power with a PC-like experience. Bixby is supported with new personal intelligence functionalities like Bixby Routines to help anticipate your needs, and Samsung Knox will keep your data and information safe. From using your phone to make purchases with Samsung Pay, to using Samsung Health to manage your health and wellness, the Galaxy ecosystem is there to help you pursue the things you’re passionate about.
Galaxy Fold will be available in the second quarter of 2019.
Galaxy Fold Official Video/https://player.vimeo.com/video/318364389
|Galaxy Fold Product Specifications|
|Display||Main display*: 7.3'' QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED Display (4.2:3) Infinity Flex Display(2152*1536), 362ppi
* Main display: Screen measured diagonally as a full rectangle without accounting for the rounded corners and the upper cutout. Actual viewable area is less due to the rounded corners and the upper cutout.
Cover display**: 4.6'' HD+ Super AMOLED Display (21:9), 720*1680, 399ppi
** Screen measured diagonally as a full rectangle without accounting for the rounded corners. Actual viewable area is less due to the rounded corners.
|Dimension & Weight||Folded: 62.9 x 160.9 x 17.0mm(Hinge) ~ 15.5mm(Sagging), 263g
Unfolded: 117.9 x 160.9 x 7.5mm(Frame) ~ 6.9mm(Screen) , 263g
|Camera||Cover camera||10MP Selfie Camera : F2.2, Pixel size: 1.22μm, FOV: 80˚|
|Front Dual Camera||10MP Selfie Camera: F2.2, Pixel size: 1.22μm, FOV: 80˚
8MP RGB Depth Camera, F1.9, Pixel Size: 1.12μm, FOV: 85˚
|Rear Triple Camera||16MP Ultra Wide Camera : F2.2 ,Pixel size: 1.0μm, FOV : 123˚
12MP Wide-angle Camera : Super Speed Dual Pixel AF, OIS, F1.5/F2.4, Pixel size: 1.4μm, FOV: 77˚
12MP Telephoto Camera : PDAF, F2.4, OIS, Pixel size: 1.0μm, FOV: 45˚
Dual OIS, 0.5x out and 2x in optical zoom, Up to 10x digital zoom, HDR10+ recording, Tracking AF
|AP||7㎚ 64-bit Octa-Core Processor (2.84㎓ + 2.41㎓ + 1.78㎓)|
|Memory||12GB RAM with 512GB internal storage (UFS3.0)
* Actual storage available may depend on pre-installed software
|Battery||LTE model: 4380mAh (typical) dual battery*
5G model: 4235mAh (typical) dual battery*
* Typical value tested under third-party laboratory condition. Typical value is the estimated average value considering the deviation in battery capacity among the battery samples tested under IEC 61960 standard. Rated (minimum) capacity is 4135mAh for 5G model and 4275mAh for LTE model. Actual battery life may vary depending on network environment, usage patterns and other factors.
|Charging||Fast Charging compatible on wired and wireless*
* Wired charging compatible with QC2.0 and AFC, Wireless charging compatible with WPC and PMA
** Wireless PowerShare is limited to Samsung or other brand smartphones with WPC Qi wireless charging, such as Galaxy S10e, S10, S10+ S9, S9+, S8, S8+, S8 Active, S7, S7 edge, S7 Active, S6, S6 edge, S6 Active, S6 edge+, Note9, Note8, Note FE, Note5, and wearables such as Galaxy Watch Active, Gear Sport, Gear S3, Galaxy Watch, and Galaxy Buds. May not work with certain accessories, covers, or other brand devices. May affect call reception or data services, depending on your network environment.
|Network||LTE model: Enhanced 2X2 MIMO, 6CA, LAA, LTE Cat.18
- Up to 1.2Gbps Download / Up to 150Mbps Upload
5G model: Non-Standalone (NSA), Sub6
* Actual speed may vary depending on country, carrier, and user environment.
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax VHT80 MU-MIMO, 1024QAM
Bluetooth® v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB type-C, NFC, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou)
* Galileo and BeiDou coverage may be limited. BeiDou may not be available for certain countries.
|SIM Card||LTE model: one eSIM and one Nano SIM
5G model: one Nano SIM
* Availability may vary depending on country and carrier.
* eSIM availability may vary depending on country and carrier.
* SIM card sold separately.
|Payment (Samsung Pay)||Credit & debit cards: supports MST and/or NFC
Membership cards, Gift cards, Transit cards, Reward point service, Global transfer
* Available in select countries. Payment solutions and available features may vary depending on country, carrier, and service providers.
|Sensors||Capacitive Fingerprint sensor (side), Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor, Proximity sensor, RGB Light sensor|
|Authentication||Lock type: Pattern, PIN, password
Biometric lock type: Fingerprint sensor, Face recognition
* Galaxy Fold has a Capacitive Fingerprint sensor on the side.
|Audio||Stereo speakers and bundled Galaxy Buds
Surround sound with Dolby Atmos technology (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus included.)
UHQ 32-bit &DSD64/128 support*, PCM: Up to 32 bits, DSD: DSD64/128
Audio playback format : MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, APE, DSF, DFF
* DSD64 and DSD128 playback can be limited depending on the file format.
|Video||Video playback format: MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
TV connection: Wireless: Smart View (screen mirroring 1080p at 30fps) / Wired: supports DisplayPort over USB type-C. Supports video out when connecting via HDMI Adapter. (DisplayPort 4K UHD at 60 fps)
|Security||Knox protection: real-time monitoring and protection.
Virus, malware prevention. (Powered by McAfee)
Secure Folder: a secure space on the device to keep content such as apps, photos and videos, secured by fingerprint scanning.
* Virus and malware prevention solution providers may vary depending on country.
Space Silver, Cosmos Black
Martian Green x Gold Hinge, Martian Green x Dark Silver Hinge
Astro Blue x Gold Hinge, Astro Blue x Dark Silver Hinge
|In the Box||Galaxy Fold, Galaxy Buds , Data Cable, Travel Adapter, Ejection Pin, USB Connector (OTG), Quick Start Guide, Aramid Fiber Cover
* Components may not be available depending on the model you purchase or the country or region you live in. Excluding cover, black components only available with black devices and all other device colors will receive white components in box.
*All functionality, features, specifications and other product information provided in this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities of the product are subject to change without notice.
1 Model and color availability may vary depending on country or carrier.
2 Samsung DeX Accessories sold separately.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung inspires the world and shapes the future with transformative ideas and technologies. The company is redefining the worlds of TVs, smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, digital appliances, network systems, and memory, system LSI, foundry and LED solutions. For the latest news, please visit the Samsung Newsroom at http://news.samsung.com.