Samsung expands Tizen ecosystem to provide enhanced wearable experiences
Seoul, Korea – March 17, 2014 - Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. announced today that Tizen Software Development Kit (SDK) for Wearables is now available for download at Tizen Developer website: http://developer.tizen.org.
With the new Tizen SDK for Wearables, a variety of applications for Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo are expected to be developed by active Tizen app developer community. Samsung continues to focus on shaping the future of the wearable technology as well as expanding more possibilities for app developers, partners, and consumers.
With more than 100 unique partnerships, Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo provide users with enhanced wearable experiences for fitness, shopping, social media, music, news, and sleep management.
Currently available Gear 2 apps include:
· Atooma: Atooma is a context-aware application to fully automate actions and tasks across your smartphone and Gear. Based on the simple logic of “IF something happens then DO that”, Atooma will execute your desired actions exactly when you want, and it is able to sense conditions and acts to free you from mundane and repetitive tasks.
“Atooma for Samsung Gear 2 lets you use simple wrist gestures to make things happen (Send a text, Put Silence Mode on if a meeting is approaching on your Google Calendar, Switch on or the Wifi, Gps, Bluetooth, Adjust brightness); or manage your Gear 2 picture sharing or storage automatically – said Gioia Pistola, founder of Atooma together with Francesca Romano, Fabrizio Cialdea and Andrea Meriggioli. We are honored to be part of the Samsung ecosystem as we feel confident in the revolutionary concept of ‘smart freedom’
· Banjo: Equip your Samsung Gear 2 with Banjo to access the world’s largest collection of social posts indexed by location, time and content, right from your wrist. Banjo users can experience what’s happening anywhere in the world through the eyes of the people who are there.
“Banjo is changing the way people consume breaking news and experience live events. Within seconds on Banjo, catch-up on the latest world event or relive a defining moment in sports, news or entertainment history," said Damien Patton, CEO of Banjo. “Banjo is part guilty pleasure and part critical source, even more easily absorbed on the Samsung Gear 2.”
· Dacadoo: With Dacadoo, users can measure their current health and fitness status in real time through a personal health score based on body composition, emotions, and overall lifestyle (exercise, nutrition, stress and sleep).Dacadoo empowers individuals to live a healthier life and stay active with automated engagement, coaching, and feedback based on their lifestyle. All Samsung Gear 2 users get free 60 day access while kids and youth under 20 years-old get free unlimited access to the dacadoo Health Score Platform.
“Dacadoo used advanced data science technology to come up with a single number to measure overall health and wellbeing of an individual, so that its simple to understand, and can be easily compared with others, regardless of their age and gender. We also made it easy for users to track their activities, the way they like it, as Dacadoo works with over 40 popular fitness tracking devices and we are continuously adding more." said Dacadoo CEO, Peter Ohnemus. "We are excited that, now with Samsung Gear 2, individuals can view their Health Score and feedback on their wrist, in real time."
· EasilyDo: EasilyDo Smart Assistant, the most loved personal assistant, organizes and notifies you of what matters so you never miss anything. The app proactively reminds you of events, meetings, flight & hotel reservations,tracks packages, and more!
“EasilyDo makes sure you never miss anything on your Samsung Gear 2,” said Noam Cadouri, Business Development Manager of EasilyDo. “Stay connected and ahead of things that you need to do with on-time alerts to important information from your calendar, contacts, social and professional networks."
· Feedly: Feedly helps you uncover and curate the knowledge and information that you care about. Work smarter with Feedly for the Samsung Gear 2 by connecting on the go with the stories you want to read.
"We built Feedly to help professionals, students and anyone with a curious mind find and follow the sources of content that matter to them," said Edwin Khodabakchian, co-founder and CEO of Feedly. "Media is now being consumed everywhere, on every screen. We're excited to partner with Samsung and bring our world class reading and discovery platform to Gear 2 users."
· Focus TRAINR: TRAINR uses Samsung Gear 2's powerful motion sensors to create the world's first personal trainer on your wrist. TRAINR automatically tracks upper body, lower body, and core exercises while also providing move-by-move instructions for each movement. Additionally, you can take our diagnostic to receive personalized workouts to get fit more effectively and efficiently based on your fitness level.
"The unique sensors sets available in Samsung Gear 2 combined with TRAINR's proprietary algorithms and fitness know-how led to the creation of the world's first dynamic training application with true exercise movement tracking", said Founder/CEO Cavan Canavan."We're excited to bring a new level of fitness tracking, guidance, and accountability to Samsung users, helping them achieve their fitness goals faster and more effectively. You still have to work to get fit, but TRAINR is here to help."
· Glympse: Real-time and dynamic, Glympse is the easiest way to share your location with anyone using Samsung Gear 2. With the free Glympse app, there is no need to create a social network or have your location continuously available – just set a time and send.
“Location technology and wearable devices are the perfect fit, and Glympse is uniquely positioned to be the signature location solution for this important new category of devices,” said Timo Bauer, vice president of business development, Glympse. “By partnering with Samsung, users around the globe will be able to use Glympse to share their whereabouts in real-time, wherever they are.”
· iHeartRadio: iHeartRadio provides users instant access to thousands of radio stations from across the country and allows listeners to create their own stations inspired by their favorite artists or songs. With a library of more than 18 million songs and 450,000 artists, iHeartRadio gives fans more music backed by better music intelligence. All for free.
“iHeartRadio is dedicated to providing even more access to the music, news and entertainment that our listeners love,” said Brian Lakamp, Clear Channel’s president of digital. “Wearables are an emerging access point for music fans,and Clear Channel continues to make iHeartRadio available everywhere our users are listening. The sleek design and interface of the Samsung Gear 2 lends itself well to the iHeartRadio user experience and we believe it will be popular among our listeners.”
· iwunta (Cloudwear): Friends make life better, but let's face it—everyone's time is tight. Now, with a single tap, you can spend more quality time with friends using iwunta: the world's first intuitive messaging app. Want to grab lunch in 15 minutes? See a movie in an hour? Hit the club tonight? iwunta gathers nearby friends to join you in just one tap.iwunta even suggests locations and provides a group chat for your friends to confirm the details.
"iwunta's partnership with Samsung transforms the Samsung Gear 2 into an even more powerful social device that always keeps you in the loop," said CEO Evan Tann. "With iwunta, you'll enjoy more quality time and real-world fun with friends than ever before."
· Life360: Staying connected to your family on the go is easy with the new Samsung Gear 2 and Life360. Whether you're making dinner plans, organizing carpools, or making sure everyone arrived home safe, Life360 keeps everyone connected no matter what chaos life throws your way.
"We're excited to be back on Samsung Gear 2" said Chris Hulls, CEO for Life360. "Using the Life360 Family Network with the new Samsung Gear 2 offers even more convenience for millions of busy families, and close friends, trying to stay coordinated and keep in touch even on the busiest of days."
· Runtastic: Use Runtastic to track distance, speed, elevation, heart rate, pace, and calories burned during your fitness workout and view the data on the Samsung Gear 2’s easy-to-view screen – directly on your wrist. You can also start and stop the app right on the device, offering ultimate convenience and practicality. Following a workout, you can save workout stats for later review on Runtastic.com, home to over 30 million registered users.
“Wearable technology is where the fitness industry is headed," said Florian Gschwandtner, CEO and Co-Founder of Runtastic. "Today's smartphones offer a wide array of tools to track health and fitness data. The key is finding ways to make this technology more accessible and easier to use. With Samsung Gear 2, Runtastic is offering the full fitness experience on a smaller, easy-to-read platform.”
· Sleep Genius: Sleep Genius is the world’s most scientifically advanced Sleep Program and Revive Cycle Alarm. Get to sleep faster, improve your sleep quality, and awaken gently and refreshed from any stage of sleep.
“Samsung has raised the bar for wearable technology by integrating a solution that goes beyond tracking to actually treat sleep disorders that now affect 1 in 4 people,” said Colin House, Sleep Genius CEO. “The Sleep Genius app was developed by experts in neuroscience, sleep, sound, and music following their research helping NASA get astronauts to sleep. Now, through the pioneering vision of Samsung, this safe and effective solution for sleeplessness will come to the aid of a much larger audience.”
· Spritz: Spritz offers the innovative text-streaming technology that enables easy and efficient reading on the email application of the Samsung Gear 2. The technology streams individual words, one by one, at the user's comfortable speed, enabling you to quickly read full content emails without accessing the phone.
"We're excited to be partnering with Samsung to introduce users to Spritz for the first time," said Spritz Co-Founder and CEO, Frank Waldman. "The integration of our technology within Samsung Gear 2 email application ensures that users will be now able to read more conveniently on-the-go."
· Strava: Strava connects you to the global community of athletes. Track your running and cycling performance and compare it against friends, locals and pros. Real-time segment updates provide instant motivation during your workout.
“Millions of athletes around the world join Strava for the motivation that comes with tracking and sharing their fitness data with friends,” said Mark Gainey, co-founder and CEO of Strava. “With the Samsung Gear 2 and Strava’s unique real-time segment data, athletes get instant motivation during a workout presented to them through a convenient wearable device.”
· Vivino: Vivino is every wine lover's simple way to get instant information about a wine. Snap a photo of the wine label from your wrist to look up ratings, taste profiles, pricing, and much more.
“Millions of people around the world turn to Vivino for inspiration and help when they’re shopping for wine or want to remember a new favorite” says Vivino Co-founder, Theis Søndergaard. “Our partnership with Samsung Gear 2 provides people with an elegant and discreet way to scan wines, and we’re excited to continue to bring value to our consumers by combining modern technology with the ancient enjoyment of wine”.
· CNN: Get CNN Breaking News alerts and follow the stories as they develop on you Samsung Gear 2.
· Conde Nast: A package of fitness programs from SELF/Details that allows you to customize your workouts based on your goals and takes them to the gym with you. The apps have video that demonstrates proper form and contain a step-by-step move coach. Later, track your workouts on the log contained in the phone app: weekly workout totals, heart rate monitoring and tally of calories burned.
· eBay: With eBay for Samsung Gear 2, you can stay on top or your most important eBay activity.
· Expedia: With Expedia, get the perfect travel information at the right time. At the airport? Your gate and terminal info is right up front. Picking up a car? Your confirmation number is waiting for you.
· Flick Dat: With Flick Dat, you can send business cards from Samsung Gear 2, anytime, anywhere!
· MapMyFitness(Under Armour): MapMyRun is a top-rated GPS tracking app that allows you to map your workouts, view your progress and share with friends on Samsung Gear 2.
· MyMusicCloud: MyMusicCloud lets you enjoy your music collection on Samsung Gear2 and all your other devices,online or offline.
· News Republic (Mobiles Republic): NEWS REPUBLIC, the smarter way to read the news, brings over 900 trusted sources together intelligently. Designed uniquely for the Samsung Gear 2.
** The services listed above may not be available in all regions and features may vary by region, and service provider may change the name and/or value of its application at any time. Restrictions may also apply.
For more information about Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo, please visit http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in technology, opening new possibilities for people everywhere. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of TVs, smartphones, tablets, PCs, cameras, home appliances, printers, LTE systems, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 286,000 people across 80 countries with annual sales of US$216.7 billion. To discover more, please visit www.samsung.com.