Introduction of standard-based eSIM technology helps to bring a consistence user experience
BARCELONA – February 18, 2016 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., today announced the Samsung Gear S2 classic 3G as the first device in the market to be equipped with an eSIM compliant to GSMA Consumer Remote SIM Provisioning (RSP) architecture.
“At Samsung, we aim to meet and anticipate consumers´ needs and the development of the first GSMA-compliant eSIM is further example of our pursuit of meaningful innovation,” said Yunsang Park, Senior Vice President of R&D Office, Mobile Communications Business at Samsung Electronics. “We are excited to introduce Samsung Gear S2 3G classic as not only a starting point for more devices to be connected globally, but as a step forward in our commitment to support the development of the IoT market ”
Samsung has played an instrumental role in driving cross-industry collaboration among global operators and SIM vendors to implement a GSMA compliant eSIM to consumer device. The company worked with several industry partners including: M1 Limited, Orange, Singtel, StarHub Ltd., Telefónica, TeliaSonera, Vodafone Group and SIM Vendors – Gemalto, Giesecke & Devrient (G&D) and Oberthur Technologies. This group has been working together to create a technical specification, which will allow users to download a mobile network operator´s profile to eSIM-powered companion devices.
The common approach and consistent user experience delivered by this eSIM solution will help grow the IoT market, allowing manufacturers to build products that can support global deployment. In turn, it will also benefit consumers by maintaining security and providing more choices on devices and operators. Samsung and its partners are striving to ensure that this proposed eSIM solution gives full coverage to every region and is made available to more customers.
“We worked closely with the mobile industry to create a global and interoperable specification that gives consumers with a mobile subscription the freedom to remotely connect their devices to a mobile network. This is just the beginning of what is possible and will open up the market to new and exciting device.”
- Jean-Christophe Tisseuil, Head of SIM, GSMA“Orange is improving the secondary device customer journey and we are excited that our customers using the Gear S2 will be able to leave their mobile at home but still be reachable. With the proliferation of connected devices, the cellular connectivity of multiple objects will be of paramount importance and the work we have carried out with Samsung and other partners towards a standardised approach to eSIM is a great step forward.”
- Yves Maitre, Executive Vice President of Connected Objects and Partnerships, Orange.
“Telefónica welcomes Samsung´s contribution to the phase 1 GSMA eSIM technical specification and is pleased to see how Samsung has implemented it into the new wearables family. We are firmly committed to support the GSMA activity to create a fully interoperable eSIM standard as a critical enabler of secure connectivity and privacy for the next billion connected devices. ”
- Francisco Montalvo, Group Devices Director at Telefónica
“We´re really happy to be part of this initiative and to bring even more great services and devices to our customers. The connected world is growing by the day and we want our customers to enjoy every part of it - on their terms. The eSIM is an important step in this direction.”
- Jesper Hedblom, Head of Commercial, TeliaSonera
“The GSMA´s new e-SIM standard gives our customers freedom to directly connect devices like the Samsung Gear S2 classic 3G to Vodafone´s fast and reliable mobile networks. We´ll launch this innovative device in Germany. The smartwatch can be easily added to our customers´ Vodafone Red plan allowing them to stay confidently connected while doing everything from receiving calls to going for a run – even if they leave their smartphone at home.”
- Patrick Chomet, Group Terminals Director, Vodafone Group
“The launch of the Samsung Gear S2 sets a benchmark for the upper end of the smartwatch market in terms of connectivity capabilities and customer experience. By securely and remotely managing the smartwatch´s mobile subscription credentials, Gemalto´s On-Demand Subscription Management helps greatly simplify the deployment of the Samsung Gear S2 all over the world, in accordance with GSMA specifications”
- David Buhan, Senior Vice President of Mobile Subscriber Services for Gemalto"We are proud to be part of the commercial launch of Samsung´s Gear S2, especially since it is equipped with our eSIM management technology. In cooperation with the Mobile Network Operators, Samsung and G&D have been among the driving forces behind the latest GSMA eSIM specification addressing consumers and the IoT. It was a successful team effort, the results of which are being showcased at the MWC. We look forward to continuing this close cooperation with Samsung and the MNO partners to keep delivering secure and convenient eSIM solutions for consumers.”
- Carsten Ahrens, Head of the Telecommunication Industries division, Giesecke & Devrient (G&D)
"Together with Samsung and our MNO partners we are fully committed to deliver standalone connectivity for wearable devices in compliance with the use cases defined by the GSMA Consumer RSP initiative. OT's embedded SIM technology and remote SIM provisioning solution will enable MNOs to provide their subscribers with a very convenient and fully digitized customer experience, without any impact on MNOs' existing system and network infrastructure, and without any compromise on the privacy and security of MNOs' credentials."
- Marek Juda, EVP of Oberthur Technologies, Connected Device Makers business
The Gear S2 classic 3G equipped with GSMA compliant eSIM will be available starting from March.
Full details and product images are available at www.samsungmobilepress.com
*Availability may vary depending on regions.About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. inspires the world and shapes the future with transformative ideas and technologies that redefine the worlds of TVs, smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, cameras, digital appliances, printers, medical equipment, network systems, and semiconductor and LED solutions. We are also leading in the Internet of Things space with the open platform SmartThings, our broad range of smart devices, and through proactive cross-industry collaboration. We employ 319,000 people across 84 countries with annual sales of US $196 billion. To discover more, and for the latest news, feature articles and press material, please visit the Samsung Newsroom at news.samsung.com.