To celebrate its eleventh Olympic Games and to honor its twenty-year long commitment to The Olympic Partner (TOP) program, Samsung Electronics - Worldwide Olympic Partner in the Wireless Communications Equipment and Computing Equipment category - proudly delivered unique mobile experiences through innovative technologies during the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018. Together with the Olympic Movement, Samsung focused on spreading its shared values of achieving the extraordinary and inspiring others to ‘Do What You Can’t.’
Various VR experience zones powered by the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Games Limited Edition featured the exhilaration of winter sports including Winter Ride, Skeleton and Snowboarding, making the Samsung Olympic Showcases a must for all Olympic Games fans. The ‘Mission to Space VR: A Moon for All Mankind’ allowed visitors to experience lunar gravity for the first time through a space mission made possible with innovative 4D VR technology.
“As the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 come to an end, we’re proud to know that Samsung technology powered lifelong memories for Olympic athletes and fans worldwide,” said Younghee Lee, CMO and Executive Vice President, Samsung Electronics. “I’m thrilled that Samsung’s meaningful technological advancements enabled a more enjoyable, exciting and connected experience for all.”
The Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 allowed Samsung’s newest advancements to empower people through state-of-art technology. By the numbers, Samsung’s milestones included the following highlight
SPREADING THE OLYMPIC SPIRIT
- 4,000+ PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Games Limited Edition were presented to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to support athletes
- 1,500 torchbearers spread the passion and hope during the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Torch Relay
- 149,353 specially-designed Samsung PyeongChang 2018 pins were distributed to Samsung Olympic Showcase visitors
- 10 lucky pin-collectors won the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Games Limited Edition and two grand prize winners won two tickets to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
CREATING MEANINGFUL CONNECTIONS THROUGH INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGY
- 435,878 athletes and fans visited nine Samsung Olympic Showcases for interactive activities powered by 2,157 Samsung products.
- 163,121 fans escaped the real-world to experience the exhilaration of eleven VR attractions such as going down the fresh mountain slopes while snowboarding, and careening down the skeleton – all VR was powered by the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Games Limited Edition
- 150 calls were made by Olympians at the two Samsung Olympic Showcases @ the Olympic Villages - adding up to 700 minutes
- 1,282,904 downloads of PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games Official Mobile Application which was developed together with POCOG (The PyeongChang Organizing Committee for the 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games) featuring real-time updates, athlete information, medal standings and Olympic Winter Games records.
Through its ongoing partnership with the IOC, Samsung strives to foster the best possible environment for athletes and fans to create, capture and share lifelong memories of their Olympic Games experiences. As part of this collaboration, the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 provided Samsung with a platform to demonstrate a future full of possibilities by displaying its ever-evolving leadership in the mobile technology space. Samsung is also an official sponsor of the Paralympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 taking place from March 9th to 18th, during which the brand will continue diverse activities including the Samsung Paralympic Showcases amongst others.
About Samsung’s Involvement in the Olympic Games
Samsung began its Olympic Games involvement as a local sponsor of Olympic Games Seoul 1988. Beginning with Olympic Winter Games Nagano 1998, the company extended its commitment to the Olympic Movement as the Worldwide Olympic Partner in the Wireless Communications Equipment category, providing its proprietary wireless communications platform and mobile devices. These innovative mobile technologies provide the Olympic Community, athletes and fans around the world with interactive communications and information services, and Samsung Pay. Samsung hosts various Olympic campaigns to share the excitement of the Olympic Games with people around the world and enable everyone to participate in the Games through its innovative mobile technology. Samsung’s commitment as a Worldwide Olympic Partner continues through PyeongChang 2018, and Tokyo 2020 in the Wireless Communications Equipment and Computing Equipment category.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung inspires the world and shapes the future with transformative ideas and technologies. For the latest news, please visit the Samsung Newsroom at news.samsung.com