With more than 150 million video views from fans, Galaxy 11 marks one of Samsung’s most interactive marketing campaigns to date, building upon the excitement of the summer’s global football festival
SEOUL, Korea – July 16, 2014 – Today, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. released the final episode of “Galaxy 11: The Match”, marking the conclusion of the fantasy-inspired, multi-platform marketing campaign. Through ten months of various online and offline programs, Samsung’s Galaxy 11 has captivated fans worldwide around their common passion for football, generating more than 150 million video views. It has also driven over 4.7 million engagements across social media channels and amassed more than 5 million visits to the campaign website (www.TheGalaxy11.com).
"Through this campaign, Samsung and football fans have joined together to share their passion for the most exciting sports festival, using mobile technology to engage with football across a variety of platforms – from digital video to mobile games and in-person experiences," said Younghee Lee, Executive Vice President of Global Marketing, IT & Mobile Communications Division at Samsung Electronics. "We are thrilled with the remarkable levels of fan support we’ve seen over the past ten months, and it was a truly exciting journey for Samsung to engage so closely with fans around the world. We hope to continue inspiring their passion for sports both on and off the field.”
Samsung has provided exciting opportunities for fans to get closer to the campaign, their favorite players and even become an integral part of the story themselves throughout the last ten months. Highlights include:
• “Galaxy 11: The Match”: Released today, the six-minute, second episode of the final match video answers the question on every fans mind – can football save the planet? The two thrilling episodes showcase the intense competition that pits the Galaxy 11 team against its massive opponent – Hurakan. Fans were last left in suspense at the end of episode one as Galaxy 11 was down 3-1, wondering if the team’s world-class football skills, collaboration among players and cutting edge Samsung technologies can help them claim victory. Fans can view the conclusion of the match here.
• #PassionPulse: Earlier this month, Samsung unveiled its latest Galaxy 11 campaign extension called #PassionPulse, which aimed to identify and celebrate the most passionate football fans in the galaxy. Samsung asked fans to share messages, images and videos of them cheering on and celebrating their favorite football team using the hashtag #PassionPulse and also descended upon four countries – Argentina, Brazil, Netherlands and Germany – to capture and share fan’s passion. At events in each location, Samsung determined which country has the world’s most passionate fan base by leveraging Samsung Galaxy S5 features like built-in heart rate sensor and HDR quality camera. Fans can learn more about #PassionPulse by visiting http://theGalaxy11.Tumblr.com.
• Galaxy 11 World Tour: Over the span of four months, more than 400,000 consumers visited the various Galaxy 11 World Tour Studios in ten countries, experiencing the latest features of Galaxy S5, Gear 2, Fit and other devices, and taking part in fun activities that brought the Galaxy 11 campaign to life. Fans were also treated to special meet and greets with players of the Galaxy 11 team at various Studio locations.
• “The Match: Striker Soccer G11”and Galaxy 11-themed mobile games: Samsung created a number of new Galaxy 11-themed mobile games including Striker Soccer, Cannon Shooter and Soccer Wars, all of which were downloaded more than 1.5 million times by fans around the world looking to strengthen their virtual soccer skills. Additionally, fans were able to enter the Striker Soccer global tournament to play on behalf of their favorite country and win prizes based on their success in the game.
• Play against the Galaxy 11 Team in FIFA 14 by EA SPORTS on Mobile: 15.5 million video gamers took advantage of the Galaxy 11 team inclusion in FIFA 14, playing more than 245 million matches against the Galaxy 11 team, as part of the Ultimate Team mode in EA SPORTS’ football simulation video game. Fans earned free FIFA packs based on their score against the Galaxy 11.
• Galaxy 11 Digital Videos: Beginning last fall, Samsung revealed the story of Galaxy 11 through a series of digital videos. Starting with the “Mysterious Circles” teaser and “Galaxy 11: The Beginning,” fans around the world became aware of the alien threat and Earth’s plan for survival. Then, Samsung and manager Franz Beckenbauer introduced each of the thirteen Galaxy 11 players through individual videos. Shortly after, “Galaxy 11: The Training” provided a look into the exciting and rigorous training that the Galaxy 11 team undertook using Galaxy devices, and fans were able to show their support for the team by watching the campaign anthem music video, “Football Will Save the Planet.” Finally, Samsung released the highly anticipated first episode of the Final Match video last month. To date, content has generated more than 150 million video views overall.
“It’s been exciting partnering with Samsung for the imaginative Galaxy 11 campaign over the past several months and connecting with passionate football fans from around the world in completely new ways,” said Galaxy 11 player Cristiano Ronaldo. “The unique combination of football and mobile technology was inspiring and educated me on how these cutting edge technologies can enrich my everyday life in ways I’ve never imagined.”
The Galaxy 11 squad included: Franz Beckenbauer (Germany; Manager), Lionel Messi (Argentina; Captain), Mario Gotze (Germany), Oscar dos Santos (Brazil), Wu Lei (China), Stephan El Shaarawy (Italy), Victor Moses (Nigeria), Radamel Falcao (Colombia), Lee Chung-Yong (South Korea), Iker Casillas (Spain), Wayne Rooney (England), Landon Donovan (United States), Aleksandr Kerzhakov (Russia) and Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal).
“Being captain of the Galaxy 11 team and playing alongside some of the world’s best footballers has been an incredible experience. It’s truly remarkable to see football fans and players around the world united under one team for the past ten months,” said Galaxy 11 captain Lionel Messi. “The campaign has also opened the door for football players and fans alike to share their passion for the sport in new ways across innovative technologies.”
Fans can relive the story of Galaxy 11 from the beginning by visiting:
• Microsite: www.theGalaxy11.com
• Facebook: www.Facebook.com/SamsungMobile
• Twitter: www.Twitter.com/SamsungMobile
• YouTube: www.YouTube.com/SamsungMobile
• ChatON: www.ChatON.com/Galaxy11
• Call-to-Action: #Galaxy11
For more information, please visit www.samsungmobilepress.com
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in technology, opening new possibilities for people everywhere. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of TVs, smartphones, tablets, PCs, cameras, home appliances, printers, LTE systems, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 286,000 people across 80 countries with annual sales of US$216.7 billion. To discover more, please visit www.samsung.com